Meet Diane Tilbury. She has been training with us since the garage days, so about 8 months. Her progress has been inspiring. She has recently back squatted over 100lbs, deadlifted over 160lbs and took on the 2km rowing challenge full force! If anyone has ever been in the same room as Diane, you can’t help but notice that she is one of the nicest humans on the planet. She always puts forward a great effort, smiles and cheers on other members! It’s members like her that continue to inspire Sara and I as coaches. Thank you so much Diane for your continued support and just genuine kindness!
We recently sat down with Diane and asked her a few questions:
- What are some of your goals in health and fitness?
“My goals in health and fitness are to increase and maintain my quality of life. I want to be able to be strong well into my later years. I want to increase my lung capacity and my muscular strength. In doing that I am working on losing weight in the process. I am working on eating better and having a positive life!”
2. What are some of your favourite exercises/movements? Least favourite exercises/movements?
“My favourite exercise/movement is anything to do with my shoulders. I love lifting weights to feel the muscles in my upper back. Since I have been learning to do those lifts I have found my muscles are not so tight. My least favourite is of course the dreaded burpee! Lol! Someday I will succeed at them, with practice and encouragement from Sara and Nathan.”
3. What are some of the changes you have noticed with your own physical ability since attending Southwest Strength?
“The changes I have obtained since starting at Southwest Strength are;
– an increase in my ability to do more cardio, my lung capacity is much better since I have been taught to breath properly while I exercise.
– I am stronger and more flexible. Bending, moving, just everyday movements are much easier. For example, lifting groceries, doing housework and playing with my grandkids is so much easier. I just feel better in my body!”
4. Your favourite thing about Southwest Strength?
“I like how Sara and Nathan train you with their first rate knowledge. You are taught the proper way to do every exercise/movement. It is first explained then demonstrated. You are never made to do something you don’t feel comfortable with. They always have a way to modify an exercise for you.
I love their gym atmosphere, it is such a friendly positive place. I really enjoy the group workouts I have met some great people. Sara and Nathan as well as fellow gym members are so encouraging and nonjudgmental. My confidence level has risen and with all the encouragement you just work harder! The best part is the feeling of accomplishment you get once you have finished a workout. The feelings last throughout the day, it definitely makes you want to go back! I am still a work in progress, I am learning more every time I go.”
5. Would you recommend people try out the services Southwest Strength has to offer? Why?
“I would definitely recommend people try out the services of Southwest Strength. If you are wanting to feel better in your life by improving your health and fitness this is the place to go. You will work hard but you will also get the best workout for your body and mind! “You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great!”